Thursday, November 11, 2010

Inventory

Seeing that I have a few moments this morning (only because I woke up at 6 like a lunatic), I decided to take inventory of the situation: rehearsal last night flawless (when I say "flawless" I mean no major flaws, nothing the public would notice, but I would, so there are still about 10 things I want to change). Fletcher is an odd space: you stage something perfectly visible center stage, and the left side or the right side of the house can't see half of it. I need to rechoreograph some scenes.

I brought Derek in to set up the new sound system (Derek knows everything about anything technical. When he's around I don't have to worry). After everything was in place we noticed we were missing two cables (to connect to the new speakers) so the entire new setup had to be dismantled and we had to go back to what we had before. Now all the sound cues are perfect, but in the middle of the rehearsal these harsh background sounds started happening.  We stopped and checked everything. No idea where the sounds are coming from. Possible the mic cables? In which case I have to change them all because we have no idea which cables are about to die...

This is a new type of panic: until now I knew what was not working and I could change it. Now we have a sound problem of unknown origin. How am I supposed to solve that?

I tell you: I don't know how directors in real theatres manage to still have shitty shows: their sound equipment works beautifully and they have all the lights they need. All they need to do is direct. I need to learn how to light a show with a lamp and a roll of tape. Ok, so I'm exaggerating, but you get the point: everything in Fletcher is about to die and I don't want their tired  wiring to demolish my play. I'm thinking of running back to KRVS and Karl (best sound guy in the city), present him with the problem (like telling a doctor your symptoms) and wait for a diagnosis.

But back to the good stuff: rehearsal went well. Seth is beginning to defrost and Chessman starts taking shape. Does he have Seth's mannerisms? Absolutely. But, in the end, that's all I wanted: a regular guy, who took a wrong turn and found himself on death row.

Gabe is still walking through walls. I have to remind Ellie every time that the "walls" we draw in chalk on the floor are supposed to function as real barriers. If you're not supernatural, you can't just go through them. Same thing with her "door." I'll start making "bang" sounds in rehearsals every time she hits a wall. Perhaps it will help.

Louis (the stage manager) is becoming more and more helpful. True, I still notice the odd prop at the wrong location during rehearsal, but he comes up with some great ideas about scenes.

Speaking of inventory, here's today's schedule: pick up blood pressure medication with Mikey at 8, office hours/class prep until 11, class from 11-12:15, office hours/lunch until 2, class from 2 - 3:15, job workshop for grad students (so they can get meaningful, well paid jobs like mine) from 3:30 to 4:30, rehearsal at 6 (with me mopping the stage at 5:30).

Possibly cry on Karl's shoulder in between and hope for miraculously restored mic cables. I need to believe in miracles now. 'Tis the season (plus, I'd like to have something to be thankful for on the 25...)

No comments:

Post a Comment